Forward Healthcare App Review: Features, Pros, Cons, and What Users Think
There are over 350,000 mobile health apps available for your phone. Many of these apps share the same goal: to reduce your time in the waiting room at a hospital or doctor’s office. Now you can find physicians, pay medical bills, schedule appointments, access lab results, view your medical records, get healthcare advice, and remove communication barriers in healthcare with a swipe of a finger. Ninety-three percent of physicians believe these apps can improve patient health outcomes.
Forward is a primary care provider that focuses on long-term health. Founded in 2016, it operates several clinics and doctor’s offices across the United States. Forward’s mobile app, available on the App Store and Google Play, offers its members various healthcare information technology services. These services include:
- Appointment booking
- Access to medical records
- Prescription filling for generic medications
- Integration with Apple Health (iPhone only)
But should you download this app to your phone? Learn more about the Forward app and what users think about it.
What is Forward?
Forward combines healthcare and technology to offer various primary care solutions to its patients. While not intended to replace your existing insurance plan, Forward provides everyday and preventative healthcare services such as diagnostic testing, cancer screening, blood pressure monitoring, nutrition counseling, stress management, and mindfulness programs.
Forward uses a different payment model than other healthcare providers. Instead of charging for individual services, patients (or “members”) pay a monthly subscription fee covering most services. As of 2021, you’ll pay $149 per month with no copays or additional bills. Forward requires a minimum commitment of 6 months; however, you can pay $1,639 for a one-off annual membership.
You’ll get the following services included in your membership:
- 24/7 medical advice
- Annual physical exam
- Sick care
- Virtual doctor’s visits
- Blood results
- Nutrition plan
- Heart health monitoring
- Skin cancer screening
- Doctor-led programs
- Clinical genetic testing
- Mental health services
You need to download and use the Forward app to access some of these services.
“In the traditional healthcare system, lots of people feel like they keep paying more and getting less,” says Forward. “So we set out to build something different: an entirely new model of primary care, designed for people.”
24/7 Medical Advice
Get access to physicians and other healthcare staff 24 hours a day on the Forward app. You can communicate with doctors via private message or set up a video call.
Arrange an appointment at a physical doctor’s office in a location near you. Forward currently has clinics in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington, D.C., and Orange County. Same- and next-day appointments are often available.
Fill prescriptions for generic medications for conditions such as blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol on the app. You can pick up a prescription from your local pharmacy.
Manage conditions such as diabetes on the app with personalized plans and healthcare advice.
Integration With Apple Health
Integrate the app with Apple Heath and share health metrics with a doctor. (Only for iPhone users.)
Access to Medical Records
Get access to your medical records on the Forward app. View medical tests, treatments, prescriptions, and doctor’s notes securely.
Other app features include COVID 19 care, personalized nutrition plans, stress management techniques, and various healthcare resources.
Forward App Pros
- Get 24/7 access to a healthcare professional
- Communicate with doctors via private message or video
- Manage your medical records
- Fill prescriptions without visiting the doctor’s office
- Available on Android and iOS devices
- No complicated setup process
- Can improve effective communication in healthcare
Forward App Cons
- Not a substitute for a traditional healthcare plan
- Prescription costs not covered
- Minimum commitment of 6 months
- No app for Huawei smartphones
What Users Think
The Forward app has an average user rating of 3/5 on the App Store based on 159 reviews. Here’s what some users think:
- “I do like that you can track trends in your data like weight and blood pressure. I also really appreciate that they collect my previous medical records from past providers, and I actually get visibility into those records! Very empowering!”
- “The App is horrible. It’s been frozen on the same page, and I can’t even get to another page to find out when my appointment is. I tried calling, but it seems like everything has to be done through the app, even the payments.”
The Forward app has an average user rating of 3/5 on Google Play based on 207 reviews. Here’s what some users think:
- “Forward is the best medical service I’ve used. Far better than a traditional provider and a significant improvement in level of care.”
- “The app is slowly getting better but then another thing glitches. It used to be difficult to select anything in the app. You had to poke on an option a million times before it would select or open. That’s better, but now every time I send a message, the chat screen starts to shake as if I’m holding the scroll button.”
- “I just recently signed up for Forward. I made several attempts to activate my account and was unable to. The verification code would not work. I’ve also left two voicemails explaining this issue.”
Forward App: Final Verdict
The Forward app provides members with access to various healthcare services on their phones, including virtual doctor’s visits, medical record access, and prescription filling. Using the app can reduce your time in a physical doctor’s office and give you 24/7 access to a healthcare professional. However, some users have complained about the technical aspects of the app and have struggled to access services on their devices.
Read more wearable technology reviews on intech.media.