Table of Contents
Davis’s Drug Guide App Review — Pros, Cons, Features, Prices, and What Users Really Think
The Davis’s Drug Guide app — based on the scientific manual “Davis’s Drug Guide for Nurses,” currently in its 17th edition — provides nurses with up-to-date information about administering and prescribing medications. The app contains 1,700 monographs, images, calculators, audio pronunciations, and free access to DrugGuide.com for 30 days.
There are around 4.2 million registered nurses, 950,000 licensed practical nurses, and 325,000 nurse practitioners in the United States. These professionals need a reliable resource about the medications they might need to provide to patients. “Davis’s Drug Guide for Nurses” — sometimes mistakenly called ‘David’s Drug Guide’ — provides many nurses with trustworthy drug information when they need it most. F.A. Davis, which publishes the manual, says it’s the “No.1 drug book for nursing students.”
But is the Davis’s Drug Guide app worth downloading? How does the app differ from the original manual? And how much does it cost? Learn more below.
What is the Davis’s Drug Guide App?
The Davis’s Drug Guide app, created by Unbound Medicine, provides nurses with quick access to drug information. It boasts over 1,700 monographs for around 5,000 generic and trade name drugs available in the U.S. Unlike the book the app is based on, users can learn new drug names with audio pronunciations and view the latest FDA updates and drug approval and prescribing changes. You can download the Davis’s Drug Guide app on your iOS or Android device.
Davis’s Drug Guide App Features
Here are some features of the Davis’s Drug Guide app.
You can view images of medications inside the app to confirm drug forms such as tablets, capsules, patches, creams, and aerosols. If you work in the healthcare, pharma, or beauty sectors, you can quickly identify drug products in the form the manufacturer intended them for use.
The FDA approves, on average, 46 new drug products a year. Instead of waiting for the next print edition of “Davis’s Drug Guide for Nurses,” you can view the latest FDA approval information in this app. You can also learn about the most recent prescribing changes for drug products you might administer, prescribe, or sell to patients and customers.
You can view drug safety alerts and warnings in the app, as well as the latest public safety information from the FDA and drug manufacturers.
If you administer drugs to patients or customers, learn critical IV and dosing information with easy-to-use calculators.
Search for Information
Unlike the original David Drug’s Guide manual, you can quickly search for monographs in the app.
Highlight Key Information
You can bookmark monographs and highlight entries, paragraphs, sentences, and words. View your bookmarks in the Favorites section of the app.
Access to DrugGuide.com
New app users get access to the DrugGuide.com website for free for 30 days. This website contains additional drug resources for nurses and other professionals.
Subscription to Drug Interactions
Paid users of the app get a one-year subscription to Drug Interactions from The Medical Letter, a trusted source for drug interaction information. Your Apple or Google Play account will renew annually for $34.99 unless you cancel the subscription before the end of the one-year period.
How Much Does the App Cost?
The Davis’s Drug Guide app costs $39.99 for a one-year subscription. However, you can try the app for free for 30 days. The app will charge you $39.99 at the end of your trial unless you can cancel it before the 30 days are up.
- A trusted resource for drug information.
- Access content you won’t find in the print version of Davis’s Drug Guide, such as audio pronunciation and up-to-date FDA updates.
- The ability to search for drug information and determine drug dosages with calculators.
- View images about drug forms on your phone or tablet.
- Free 30-day trial.
- The app works well on both iOS and Android phones.
- You have to pay to use the app after the free trial period.
- You will be charged automatically after the 30-day trial period unless you cancel.
What Users Think
The Davis’s Drug Guide app currently has an average user review score of 4.9/5 on Google Play based on 846 reviews, making it one of the most popular apps of its type. Here’s what some users say:
- “Amazing app. I just renewed! The guide has helped me through nursing school and will continue to be a staple in my career. 10/10 recommend!”
- “This app is a lifesaver when it comes to drug cards in nursing school.”
- “The drug guide is awesome, but the app is glitchy. It continually goes back to its Home screen when I am still reading about a drug. Not sure why.”
The Davis’s Drug Guide app also has an average user review score of 4.9/5 on the App Store. Here’s what some users say:
- “Excellent resource. I have used this drug guide in the field as a paramedic and as a resource when creating a formulary for my students.
- I appreciate the IPad and mobile-friendly format a great deal.”
- “I am working a night shift tonight, and I have already used Davis’s Drug Guide four or five times. There are always new drugs, and it does a good job of keeping you up to speed when questions arise.”
- “Missing many drugs. For example, apraclonidine and deflazacort. Not comprehensive enough to be a good reference for a physician. Unacceptable given that it’s one of the most expensive drug reference apps.”
Davis’s Drug Guide App Final Verdict
The Davis’s Drug Guide app — sometimes incorrectly called David’s Drug Guide — provides the latest drug information in the form of well-researched monographs, helping you determine dosage, drug forms, and product safety. If you work for a healthcare, pharma, or beauty company, you can view all this information on your phone or tablet and increase the safety of patients or customers. The app comes with 1,700 monographs, medication images, audio pronunciations, the latest FDA updates, and free access to DrugGuide.com for 30 days.